Looking for a creative way to surprise your Valentine this year?
Look no further than your fruit bowl! Combine chocolate and fresh fruits to make the ultimate sweet treat for your sweetie. You won’t believe how easy and tasty these quick combos can be!
Creamy chocolate and juicy strawberries are a tough flavor mash up to beat. They have a long history in the romantic food category—so these are a must to include in your fruity Valentine’s line-up.
Here’s how to prep them:
- Wash strawberries and pat them dry. (Make sure they are completely dry before dipping!)
- Melt your chocolate. I like to use a “double broiler” method. The chocolate is melted in a metal bowl over a pan with water being warmed on the stovetop. Take care to not allow any water to touch the chocolate and stir the chocolate often. When the chocolate has melted, remove the bowl to avoid overcooking.
- Dip strawberries one at a time, and line them on a tray covered with waxed paper to cool.
- Give each strawberry a splash of Valentine color with some red sprinkles (before the chocolate cools!). Or, if you are feeling very fancy, streak the dried chocolate with white or red stripes of candy melts. Oooh la la!
Peanut butter sandwiches are naturally fabulous. Add bananas, and you’re a kid all over again. How can you make them even better? Chocolate, of course! I call these triple-threat treats “Banana Bon-bons.”
Slice bananas into chunks. Spread a little peanut butter onto each chunk, and stick them in the freezer for 20 minutes. Melt your chocolate as above.
When it’s time to dip, just take a few banana chunks out of the freezer at a time. They’re much easier to dunk in chocolate if the banana and peanut butter are firm. And using two forks to dip each banana works best.
Finally, decorate each “bon-bon” with sprinkles and store them in the freezer until you’re ready to serve your sweet surprise. They taste best when the bananas are frozen!
Apples and peanut butter are one of my favorite snacks, making this treat my favorite of the fruity trio. I like to use pre-sliced apples from the store because they’re convenient (no judging!), and because many packages have been treated with ascorbic acid to prevent browning. (Check the package to verify.)
Ready to get crafty? Start with a whole apple and cut a thin section into a heart shape. I used a paring knife, but a cookie cutter will also work. (Consider brushing apples with lemon juice to prevent browning if you slice them yourself.)
Next, spread a thin layer of peanut butter over one side of the apple slice, leaving enough space for you to get a grip on it. Then dunk the apple into the melted chocolate until the peanut butter is covered. Add your festive sprinkles, and let cool.
These fruity treats are dessert dynamite and will satisfy any sweet tooth. They’re also much healthier than a box of chocolates (…just sayin’). Enjoy!
More Chocolate-Dipped Dessert Recipes:
- Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries
- White Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries
- Fancy Dipped Strawberries
- Chocolate-Dipped Candied Orange Peel
- Chocolate-Dipped Fruit Wreath (you can make it heart-shaped!)