Cookie Cutters Aren’t Just for Cookies!
Hosting a party? Make it extra cute with a few simple steps and cookie cutters. Whether you go all out and bake your favorite treats or simply serve fruit and veggies, these little tips can make your treats the talk of the party.
Cheese + Crackers
A cheese and cracker plate may be the go-to munchie for your party, but kick this classic up a notch by using fun-shaped cookie cutters on the cheese! Just buy sliced cheese from the deli and get cuttin’! Buying a light-colored cheese (provolone) along with an orange cheese (cheddar) will really make your cheese tray pop! (And what a great way to entice the kids to finish their plates for parties or everyday meals!)
Fruit is a must for any party; it’s healthy + delish. Now you can make fruit a bit more festive with cookie cutters! Slice the fruit into bite-sized bits, and use a cookie cutter to create your choice of shapes. Insert a lollipop stick in the bottom of a shape to make a cute fruit pop for kids. (You can even dip them in chocolate or melted candy!) Or simply display them in bowls or on platters for guests to enjoy. This is definitely a great way to make a fruit salad go from “meh” to amazing!
Cookies, Brownies, + More
Bake your favorite chocolate chip cookies (I’m partial to this cookie recipe) and whip out some creative cookie cutter shapes to match your entertaining theme. This little trick works fabulously with brownies, too—so give these fudgy brownies a try!
Want to make your cookies or brownies extra special? Cut out a smaller size version of your original shape from inside your original treat. Then cut out that same smaller size from a different color treat, and swap those inside shapes to make your goodies two-toned and doubly delicious.
Themes & Parties
Match your shapes to your celebration. Craft stores often have seasonal cookie cutters for holidays like Easter, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day. Simple shapes like stars and hearts are great for any type of party. And gourmet cooking shops typically feature cookie cutter sets based on specific themes depending on the time of year.
A few party-specific shape ideas to get your imaginations going…
- Weddings or bridal showers: Try using bells, rings, hearts, and cake shapes.
- Baby showers: Hearts, teddy bears, or storks are fun! (And why not try these pink chocolate chip cookies!)
- Birthday parties: Celebrate with stars, bows, or even confetti or balloons (made using little circular cutters in different sizes).
- Spring garden parties: Use cookie cutters shaped like flowers and leaves.
- Summer parties: Stars, fish, crabs, or other beach themed cutters can be really appealing.
- St. Patrick’s Day: Shamrocks, of course (use honeydew melon for green color)!
- Sports events + parties: It’s simple to make basketballs, baseballs, footballs, whistles, and so on.
- Easter parties: Go for bunnies, carrots, and eggs!